Topic: Debriefing recorded flight

Hello! I'm a big fan of recording flights from as many angles as possible for debriefing & judging after the flight. You don't have enough eyes to notice everything during flight and also, in the cockpit a maneuver may appear to look right, though from the ground this may not be the case.
Here is my latest recorded flight. I'm quite satisfied with how the flight went but, there is always room for improvement. I've never been judged by a pro so Sasha, maybe you can take walk through the flight with comments?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdahE53ZW6U

Re: Debriefing recorded flight

Hey Lars, hi! Okay, let's do it! But I have a question, with all that angles why there's not a camera showing the wing tip?
Visibility is not very good. Anyway, fig.1 there is a variation in the line, visible. I would do the leveling with a narrower radius on exit (7). Roll looks very good (8). The turn seem to increase a little at the end and too steep (6.5). Fig.4 I have no idea of what it is: 45 up look very good, but there's variations in the 45 down line (6). Can't judge the half top flick, though. Fig.5 the humpty there's a stall in the second part of the half loop, need to be more flown, rounded, more entry speed, and the line down looks just a little bit negative (6). A view on the wing tip would help. Fig.6 sawtooth has a very short line before the roll and the correction after the roll is visible, I see a little bit of variation in the down line (6.5) very good though with the ASK. Fig7 Diamond (never saw in competitions) the only big thing is the last line, very short, angles are really good (7). Fig8 rolling turn goood! Just a small roll rate variation, but good heading and just a little tail shake at the end (7). Fig.9 Stall turn, hmm going up the wings are not perfectly always level, the right wing goes up, the turn is flown and wide pivot point, then the tail shakes on the end of the turn, and line down looks negative, with a variation. Man you can do better!!! here (6). Fig 10 reverse half cuban. I know ASK should be judged on 30° but to me looks very shallow, maybe 15°, good the 5/8 loop but super short the first line, a little bit mushy the half roll, super long second line with a variation of angle (4,5). Fig 11 rolling turn, very small angle the first sector and big the second sector, good the rolling turn rate (5). Fig.12 Stall turn, very good this one, however, the 1/4 of entry loop is very wide, and the up vertical line is much shorter (1/2) than the down line, good pivot point, good angles (6,5). Fig.13 the upper radius is smaller than the lower and there's a bump, not sure about the angle but looks good (8).
Maaaaan, these would be the scores with international judges (very very picky judges), maybe we can ask Hanna if she can contribute wink. Anyway this is what I see. I would work on those variations (easy to remove) and the other little details.

Sasha Marvin US CFIG Glider Aerobatic Coach Trainer
"Working to build the East USA Glider Aerobatic Team"
I do rides and teach Aerobatics at the Seminole Lake Gliderport, Clermont, FL. Open all year!
http://www.sashamarvin.com (352) 630-9345

3 (edited by LA Hofman 2016-11-22 02:11:14)

Re: Debriefing recorded flight

sashamarvin wrote:

Hey Lars, hi! Okay, let's do it! But I have a question, with all that angles why there's not a camera showing the wing tip?

I've ran out of cameras! Haha, no, i've chosen to use the front and back view of the 360 camera in this video. For judgement, the side views are indeed better. Still can be done with the 360 video of this flight, although the resolution of this camera is quite terrible..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkL9SPeXxZ8

sashamarvin wrote:

fig.1 there is a variation in the line, visible. I would do the leveling with a narrower radius on exit (7). Roll looks very good (8). The turn seem to increase a little at the end and too steep (6.5).

Good notices, thanks!

sashamarvin wrote:

Fig.4 I have no idea of what it is: 45 up look very good, but there's variations in the 45 down line (6). Can't judge the half top flick, though.

yeah, that is not a real aresti figure. It's something I've came up with as an alternative for a flick (K21's are not allowed to do flicks) It is rather the initiation of an inverted spin, stopped at 180 degrees. The K21 does that very well, going from inverted (unstable) to level (stable).

sashamarvin wrote:

Fig.5 the humpty there's a stall in the second part of the half loop, need to be more flown, rounded, more entry speed, and the line down looks just a little bit negative (6). A view on the wing tip would help.

Good points! Only just noticed the stall there.

sashamarvin wrote:

Fig.6 sawtooth has a very short line before the roll and the correction after the roll is visible, I see a little bit of variation in the down line (6.5) very good though with the ASK.

I've also noticed the line before the roll is too short. Good point to practise. I did not notice any variation on the down line. I do think the down line was too shallow though.

sashamarvin wrote:

Fig7 Diamond (never saw in competitions) the only big thing is the last line, very short, angles are really good (7). Fig8 rolling turn goood! Just a small roll rate variation, but good heading and just a little tail shake at the end (7).

Happy to hear that smile

sashamarvin wrote:

Fig.9 Stall turn, hmm going up the wings are not perfectly always level, the right wing goes up, the turn is flown and wide pivot point, then the tail shakes on the end of the turn, and line down looks negative, with a variation. Man you can do better!!! here (6).

This one was indeed rough. Something to work at! ^^

sashamarvin wrote:

Fig 10 reverse half cuban. I know ASK should be judged on 30° but to me looks very shallow, maybe 15°, good the 5/8 loop but super short the first line, a little bit mushy the half roll, super long second line with a variation of angle (4,5).

Not my favorite maneuver, must fly it more till I love it wink

sashamarvin wrote:

Fig 11 rolling turn, very small angle the first sector and big the second sector, good the rolling turn rate (5).

Lost my angle cues there, and some focus maybe.

sashamarvin wrote:

Fig.12 Stall turn, very good this one, however, the 1/4 of entry loop is very wide, and the up vertical line is much shorter (1/2) than the down line, good pivot point, good angles (6,5).

Good thing to work at. Didn't pay much attention to the lengths of lines. Something to work at next season! big_smile

sashamarvin wrote:

Fig.13 the upper radius is smaller than the lower and there's a bump, not sure about the angle but looks good (8).

Never an excuse, but I think that bumb was turbulence. wink

sashamarvin wrote:

Maaaaan, these would be the scores with international judges (very very picky judges), maybe we can ask Hanna if she can contribute wink. Anyway this is what I see. I would work on those variations (easy to remove) and the other little details.

Thanks so much for these judgements! It is hard to find good judges here in the Netherlands. You are helping out! Very appreciated smile