Topic: Wing wagging

I was wondering if there are any rules for wing wagging. I see pilots do it different from others, so I guess there aren't any strict rules but that is just an assumption.

Re: Wing wagging

Hey Lars, Good to see you here!

OKAY... PIK (Chief Judge Philippe KÜCHLER in art "PIK") is probably fad up of me asking him of this, because I bug him so many times, however the rule is that you have to wing wag at least 3 times, and program starts after the last wing wag.

So let say that you have to start the first figure diving down because you need speed, be sure to make a wing wag on a straight line. Same thing if you need to start inverted do the the last wing wag inverted on a horizontal line.

That's what we have in Section 6 Part 2

2.6.6. No Wing Dip at the Beginning or End of a Programme (taken from SC_Section6_Part2_2016_2.pdf)

2.6.6.1. The pilot will be given 35 penalty points for failure to do a wing dip at either the beginning or ending of a programme, or doing it so little that it is not apparent to the grading judges (rule 3.2.3.3).

2.6.6.2. The Boundary Judges stop considering boundary infringements at the first wing dip marking the end of the flight programme or, in case that it is not seen, 10 seconds after the aircraft leaves the performance zone after the end of the last figure.

AND

3.2.3. Competition Flights

3.2.3.3. A competitor must signal the start and finish of each programme by distinctly dipping the wing three times immediately one after another by more than 30 degrees. If the first figure in a programme begins in inverted flight, the first two wing dips may be in upright flight and the last wing dip must be performed in inverted flight. The competitor may change the flight attitude from normal to inverted only by a half roll prior to the last wing dip. A horizontal flight path is required before the start of the first figure and the last wing dip must be in horizontal flight. (see 2.6.6).
Pilots shall land immediately at the end of a competition flight.

Clearly "distinctly dipping" is what you have to do. Some pilots use a weird wing wag as their signature (I think they should be disqualified, ha ha) and some do like 1 wag only at the end, I dont like that, looks like he don't enjoy flying. Myyyyyy opinion, maybe they think it's cool wink

Sasha Marvin US CFIG Glider Aerobatic Coach Trainer
"Working to build the East USA Glider Aerobatic Team"
I do rides and teach Aerobatics at the Seminole Lake Gliderport, Clermont, FL. Open all year!
http://www.sashamarvin.com (352) 630-9345

Thanks Sasha for the wide explanation!

Still though, with more knowledge come more questions wink

sashamarvin wrote:

So let say that you have to start the first figure diving down because you need speed, be sure to make a wing wag on a straight line.

With the Sportsman 2017 Glider Known program, you need to start at high speed. There is no 45 deg down line figure at the beginning of the program. Are you allowed to dive for speed after the wing wag, or do you need to dive for speed and do wing wagging after that? You will lose quite some altitude and box space if you do a wing wag at high speeds.

sashamarvin wrote:

3.2.3.3. A horizontal flight path is required before the start of the first figure and the last wing dip must be in horizontal flight.

Or are you allowed to do two of the wing wags on a 45deg down line, and the last one after leveling?

sashamarvin wrote:

2.6.6.2. The Boundary Judges stop considering boundary infringements at the first wing dip marking the end of the flight programme or, in case that it is not seen, 10 seconds after the aircraft leaves the performance zone after the end of the last figure.

What about the beginning of the program. Does the wing wag need to be done inside the aerobatic box, or is it allowed to be done just before entering the box?

sashamarvin wrote:

Clearly "distinctly dipping" is what you have to do. Some pilots use a weird wing wag as their signature (I think they should be disqualified, ha ha) and some do like 1 wag only at the end, I dont like that, looks like he don't enjoy flying. Myyyyyy opinion, maybe they think it's cool wink

haha, I think G-forces reduce the ability to count till 3 wink

Lars wrote:

Or are you allowed to do two of the wing wags on a 45deg down line, and the last one after leveling?

You dive (doesn't really matter if 45 or more degrees) you do 2 wing wag you level and do last wing wag.

Lars wrote:

Does the wing wag need to be done inside the aerobatic box, or is it allowed to be done just before entering the box

Wing wag is part of the program, and you have a Harmony factor as its evaluation/score. As you don't want to do super long travels between figures, the same should be considered with wing wag.

Should you need to start your figure just after entering the box, do your wing wag before it as always, if outside the box won't count. No penalties.

You don't wanna do the wing wag outside the box and then fly to the other side of it before beginning the first figure. No.

And by the way for the altitude penalty it becomes active only when the first figure begins. Same for the last one. If you're level and you get the low beep, thats no penalty. If you get the beep just before the end of the figure, that's 75 points gone.

Sasha Marvin US CFIG Glider Aerobatic Coach Trainer
"Working to build the East USA Glider Aerobatic Team"
I do rides and teach Aerobatics at the Seminole Lake Gliderport, Clermont, FL. Open all year!
http://www.sashamarvin.com (352) 630-9345

That clear things up, thanks Sasha!